By Don Mueggenborg
I just took a trip on the most crooked river in Illinois. I hardly believed the bends and switchbacks.
This is November, I really didn’t paddle the river, I checked out the map on the internet.
Over the years, I have paddled and raced the Pec – I think I paddled all of it from the state line, through Freeport to the city of Pecatonica, to the Two Rivers landing. Not at one time, but in stretches.
What do you find on the Pec?
First of all, you can see the work of a dedicated group of people who have built some pretty good canoe landings. Bobtown Landing and Damascus Landing, to name a couple.
Not too many years ago, one of the paddlers from the area ran into a problem with rules and regulations. You had to get permission ahead of time to use the park boat landing. When he tried to take out after paddling, he found out about the law. He and his friends decided to change things.
They asked for IPC input to convince the local authorities that this was not a good thing. (They also served on the IPC board)
Then they went ahead and started improving the landing sites on the river. They have been successful beyond their dreams.
They hold an annual race on the Pec also.
Second, you find a peaceful winding river. Not many road crossings, not many buildings, just miles of stream to paddle and enjoy. Of course there is the wildlife – birds, deer.
Just the place for a get-away.
Use your maps, and you can paddle downstream and bike back to your vehicle over a trail or country roads.
If you encounter locals, they will be friendly.
Illinois’s Friendliest Paddle (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GqfjnQk-U4
- Trip #1 – 6.2 miles – Brewster Landing to McConnell Bobtown Landing
- Trip #2 – 7.9 miles – McConnell Bobtown Landing to McNeil’s Damascus Landing
- Trip #3 – 8 miles – McNeil’s Damascus Landing to Wes Block Trail Head
- Trip #4 – 6.2 miles – Wes Block Trail Head to Tutty’s Crossing in Freeport
- Trip #5 – 1/2 mile or 3 mile – Tutty’s Crossing to Hancock Ave Boat Ramp or VFW
- 2.8 miles – Tutty’s crossing to VFW boat ramp
- Trip #6 – 16 miles – Hancock Ave Boat Ramp to Ridott Fishing Park
- Trip #7 – 7 miles – Ridott Fishing Park to Atten’s Landing
- Trip #8 – 7 miles – Atten’s Landing to Pecatonica Village Park