Paddling Safety Task Force
Top 10 Safety List
- Take an on water course for safety & paddling.
- Wear your properly fitted lifejacket at all times on the water.
- Understand cold water safety.
- Check high water conditions prior to launching.
- Check weather conditions and plan accordingly.
- Bring water and snacks for long days on the water.
- Have a first aid kit and cell phone in a dry bag.
- Leave your itinerary with someone and estimated time off the water.
- Have a safety check list.
- Know your limits.
Top Safety Links:
Safety Task Force Partners:
Cold Water Reminder
As the air temperatures rise, and we all want to find water to paddle, Just a quick reminder: Cold Water can kill, not only in the Northwest where this sign was found, but right here in the Midwest. So be prepared: Wear proper clothing, a snugly fitted PFD, and always paddle with a friend – especially out on Lake Michigan.
This message brought to you by the Illinois Paddling Council, who wants to keep you safe and have a good time paddling!