Paddling Safety Task Force
Top 10 Safety List
- Take an on water course for safety & paddling.
- Wear your properly fitted lifejacket at all times on the water.
- Understand cold water safety.
- Check high water conditions prior to launching.
- Check weather conditions and plan accordingly.
- Bring water and snacks for long days on the water.
- Have a first aid kit and cell phone in a dry bag.
- Leave your itinerary with someone and estimated time off the water.
- Have a safety check list.
- Know your limits.
Top Safety Links:
Safety Task Force Partners:
Dam Safety by Sigrid Pilgrim
Every year, a dam and the hydraulics below, claims someone’s life. Whether a paddler, fisherman, or inner-tuber – recognize the danger of dams and the hydraulics that form on the downstream side. IPC has an educational video, produced by Tom Lindblade, on the danger of dams – so please – watch it. And if you are involved with a club, or any other organization – spread the word. Click here for a brief, but very educational and informative video on the dangers of dams.
You can also order a copy of the DVD by sending a $10.00 check, made payable to Illinois Paddling Council, to:
2750 Bernard Place
Evanston, IL 60201